HiPACT® - an Innovative CO2 Capture Process
HiPACT® recovers CO2 at high pressures from natural gas and synthesis gas, enabling cost reduction and energy saving in carbon dioxide capture and storage (CCS). HiPACT® has been jointly developed with BASF SE. A demonstration test has been successfully completed at INPEX's natural gas plant in Japan and the technology is now at the marketing stage.
- A chemical absorption process, using a newly developed absorption solvent;
- Highly stable against thermal degradation
- Superior CO2 absorption performance
- Enabling CO2 stripping process at high pressures simultaneously with energy saving, which significantly reduces the energy and cost loads of CCS projects
- Enabling a reduction of 25 to 35 percent in CO2 recovery and compression costs
- Beneficial to not only CCS but also to CO2-EOR (Enhanced Oil Recovery) and pure CO2 production for e.g. liquefied CO2 or further processing to chemicals
- CO2 capture sections in
- natural gas processing plants including LNG plants
- synthesis gas (syngas) processing plants to synthesize chemical products e.g.
ammonia, urea, hydrogen, acetic acid, methanol and substitute natural gas (SNG)
- IGCC (Integrated Gasification and Combined Cycle) plants, especially those
based on coal and heavy oils
Illustration of CO2 Capture and Storage Scheme
- Natural gas processing with CCS (Europe), 1 License